Here is a healthier version of one of my favorites – Spinach Artichoke Dip. This recipe cuts down on the cheese but keeps the creamy taste by using white beans. (And you get some added protein from the beans!) My only critique is that next time, I will puree the beans. It tastes great but the textures of the spinach, artichokes and beans make it on the chunky side.
- 3 big handfuls of baby spinach (more/less depending on how much you like spinach) or 1 package of frozen spinach
- 1 can of artichoke hearts (quartered)
- 125 grams of Mozzarella cheese (a little over 1 cup)
- 30 grams of Parmesan cheese (6 tbsp)
- 3/4 can white Cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 13 grams of milled flax seed (2 tbsp) Optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350.
On Stove top – Boil 2 cups of water – Throw in spinach – Let it shrink up and get soft. (About 5 minutes)
In mixing bowl – add spinach, artichoke hearts, mozzarella, Parmesan and beans. This is where I would puree the beans before adding to the mixture.
Mix together and add in garlic powder, flax seed and salt and pepper.
Put in baking dish. (I used a medium sized Pyrex)
Bake for 15-20 minutes. (until golden brown on top)
Serve with whole wheat pita chips.
About the Author: Karen Welby is the Marketing Director at EatSmart Products and a Personal Trainer/Health Coach.