Who doesn’t love an excuse to get together with friends, enjoy delicious foods, and tasty drinks? Cinco de Mayo gives us the perfect reason to go out and have fun. Mexican food can be healthy; beans, grilled meats, and vegetables are smart choices. On the other hand, fried foods smothered in cheese and sauces coupled with sugary cocktails can sabotage your healthy habits. If you’re looking to celebrate the holiday but not completely indulge, keep reading our meal and drink suggestions.
#EatSmartapproved food and drink choices for a Health(ier) Cinco de Mayo:
Skip the fried chips as it’s easy to consume a lot of calories without even realizing it. Instead opt for:
- Vegetarian black bean soup or chicken tortilla soup and skip the added sour cream and cheese.
- Grilled shrimp or ceviche are also great choices.
Steer clear of smothered in cheese options and choose a flavorful option such as:
- Vegetarian naked burrito, enjoy the burrito fillings without the tortilla. Choose brown rice instead of white or Spanish rice, choose salsa and sliced avocado as your condiments and forgo the cheese and sour cream.
- Grilled fish or chicken tacos on a soft corn tortilla are healthy and flavorful and portion control is built right in with these. As a side, choose black beans or borracho beans and vegetables.
- Chicken or shrimp fajitas are another good option. Skip the rice and tortilla and ask for extra vegetables. Go easy on the sour cream or opt for guacamole instead.
- Enjoy a fajita or taco salad and ask for it to be served on a plate or bowl rather than in a fried taco shell. Black beans, lean beef or chicken, and avocado are all tasty and healthy options to add in. Ask for the cheese on the side and add it sparingly.
Margaritas are fun but they are loaded wtih sugar. Instead choose one of these options:
- Tequila and club soda on the rocks with lime
- Light beer
- Agua fresca is a fruity a non-alcoholic treat
- Seltzer with lime and mint
- Café del Olla – an alcohol free Mexican coffee made with cinnamon and orange
- Fresh fruit
Things to note
- When you really want the chips, count a few out and put them on your plate. Before you go, you can weigh a serving at home on your Precision Digital Kitchen Scale to get an idea of what a serving of chips would amount to.
- Salsa and avocado are healthy and flavorful condiments. Calories from avocado can pile up so keep an eye on your serving sizes.
- Soft corn tortillas are a better choice over fried or flour.
- Ask for veggies instead of chips to dip in salsa and guacamole for a guilt-free choice.
- Sip a glass of water in-between alcoholic beverages.
- Craving dessert? Share an order of churros with the table. You can satisfy your sweet tooth without a ton of calories and sugar.
With a few simple tweaks, you can savor your Mexican meal and have a great time without overdoing it.
Do you want more tips on eating smart while dining out? Check out our blog How to Eat Out Without Sabotaging Your Healthy Habits.